Wednesday, September 16, 2009


So, here is the object of my affection. Balenciaga. Does any other word roll off the tongue like that?


Well, we are now at 311 days and counting and I have been derailed by a cold. Can't very well ride a bike when it feels like a 300 pound man is sitting on my chest. By Monday, I should be back on track. By on track I mean that I will actually dust off the exercise bike and start riding. See, I still don't have a road bike. I have a 25 year old mountain bike (affectionately referred to as Old Yeller) if I get desperate. This leads me to the added benefits of my quest.


Benefit #1: Health

I am expecting that this little journey I have undertaken will result in health benefits. That is if I don't die trying. Exercise seems to be the only weight loss plan that works. I am currently suffering from high blood pressure and am high risk for type 2 diabetes. That right there ought to tell you of the challenge I am facing. Hopefully, this ride will take care of these problems.


Benefit #2: SHOPPING

Maybe this should be benefit #1. I will get to shop. YEAH!!! It was a bit eye opening to see all the equipment I might need for this endeavor. First, a bike, yes. But also, bike shorts. Padded ones. In a fat girl size(it's alright, I'm okay with fat girl). See, fat girls don't really exercise. That's why they are fat. So there aren't a lot of companies that make fat girl bike shorts. Besides, no one wants to see a fat girl in bike shorts. The problem is that fat girls always have the desire to lose weight. Believe me, we aren't happy with our body image. So listen up North Face, Patagonia, and REI. We want performance gear that will fit us. For too many years we have bought men's ski pants and we are fed up. To quote Freddy Mercury, "Fat bottom girls you make the rockin world go round."

Okay, enough ranting about the bias against fat girls in the outdoor industry. I will also need gloves, shoes, jersey, jacket, socks, and helmet. And those are just the basics. I don't think Jeff realized how much this was going to cost him. Well, it is my new form of retail therapy.
Benefit #3: Friends
So far I have received a great outpouring of support from my friends. Some will be riding with us as a team, others will just give moral support. I am grateful to all. We will be registering our team in November, come join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment