Thursday, September 10, 2009

It all started with a handbag



It all started with a handbag. That one over there. Alexander McQueen to be precise. I really wanted it. I really, really wanted it. But it is superfluous and unnecessary. Jeff (my husband) happened to be with me. We were in Vegas and window shopping in the high end stores. This is not something Jeff enjoys, but he indulges me once in a while. We were strolling through Barney's (handbag heaven) and Marc Jacobs and I happened to remark that I would do almost anything for a high end handbag. "Anything?", he asked. "Yes, almost anything" I replied. "Would you ride a bike across Iowa?", he asked. Hence, the deal was stuck.




RAGBRAI is the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa. Seven days, 472 miles, on a bike. You might be thinking that it doesn't sound so bad. I mean, it's Iowa after all. No mountain passes. What you need to know about me is that I am overweight and out of shape. Not just out of shape. Never really in shape to begin with. So now you are thinking I am crazy. I am thinking that too. The thing is, I really want the handbag. I can't stop thinking about it.


So, in the next 317 days, I need your help to keep me motivated, offer advice, remind me why I'm doing this. Oh, by the way, I don't own a bike. Maybe Alexander McQueen makes bikes....

No comments:

Post a Comment